If you are like me and anxious to try out the newly revamped Windows operating system, I will show you how to download Windows 11 for your PC. Later this year, when its official release, qualifying Windows 10 will be able to upgrade their systems to Windows 11 for FREE! Yes, that’s right, completely FREE.
I’ve been using Windows since 3.11. I have either purchased Windows or had a preinstalled version on every computer I’ve bought over the last 30 years. Getting Microsoft Windows completely free is a new concept. To see if your PC is eligible for the free upgrade, you need to check out the Microsoft website for all the specifications and details.
To start, you need to be enrolled as a member of the Windows Insider Program. Membership will allow you to get the Preview Build of Windows 11 for immediate use. The preview build enables developers to test their applications on the new operating system and ensure it works properly before the official release. The requirements are not too strict, so enthusiasts like myself can join as well.
The minimum requirements for Windows 11 are very similar to Windows 10. This will allow many users running Windows 10 to upgrade relatively painlessly once the official launch takes place. I have provided the most up-to-date requirements below.
Processor: 1GHz or faster with a minimum two cores on a compatible 64bit processor/chip
Harddisk Storage: 64GB or greater
System firmware: UEFI, Secure Boot capable
TPM: Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0
Graphics card: Compatible with DirectX 12 or later, with WDDM 2.0 driver
Display: HD 720p (1280×720) or more, 8 bits per color channel
How to Download Windows 11
First, make sure you’re running up to date and licensed version of Windows 10. You also need to be logged in as an Administrator or have Admin privileges. Once done, register for the Windows Insider Program if you haven’t already. The Windows Insider Program membership is needed to proceed. When you have done that, sign in to the Windows Insider account.
1. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Insider Program. Click Get Started.
2. Under ‘Pick an account to get started’, select ‘+’ to add your Microsoft account.
3. Follow the onscreen instructions. When choosing the experience, make sure you select the Dev channel (for developers). This channel is the only one that allows the Windows 11 download.
4. Review the terms and conditions, then click confirm. When prompted, click ‘Restart Now.’
5. After restarting, go to Settings > Privacy > Diagnostics & feedback, and make sure the ‘Optional Diagnostic Data’ switches ‘On’.
6. Last, go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update. Click the Check for updates button. Assuming your system qualifies for Windows 11, You should see the latest Windows 11 Insider Preview build. From here you can select it and start installing the new operating system.
Download Windows 11 ISO
Before you can download Windows 11 or any prelease version, you need to complete the above registration steps for the Windows Insider program. After registering and ready to download the ISO for installing Windows 11 from scratch, you can download the Windows 11 Insider Preview ISO directly from Microsoft.
VIDEO: How to Install Windows 11 in VirtualBox