Macs, as you’ve probably noticed, are awesome. They even come with a unique built-in feature — Time Machine, which greatly increases your chances to recover files from a backup. Nonetheless, there are no guarantees when it comes to accidentally lost data. Power failures, viruses and other malware, errors in code, and dozens of other inconveniences may arise between you and your data, and one simply cannot create enough backups to safeguard all valuable files. When your backups fail you, it is time to seek the best recovery data software for Mac. Luckily, nowadays there are many diverse solutions, which may compete even with professional services. Let us look closer at the most convenient one and its prominent features.
Table of Contents
How to Select an Optimal Tool for Data Recovery
Firstly, let us consider how Mac data recovery software works. Almost all tools for the restoration of data work similarly: they scan your HDD, seeking available files. When you click “Delete”, your operating system does not actually erase files from HDD — it would be ineffective in terms of its longevity and resources. Instead, it simply erases markers, which tell the system about the location of these files. Hence, from now on it considers this space “free”, even though these files still occupy that very same place. Specialized tools are capable of finding those files and providing the system with new markers. The real problem happens when you overwrite “erased” files with new data. If such is the case, your data is lost: there is a very small chance of getting it back. Therefore, if all tools for data recovery rely on the same principle, what is the difference between them? These programs differ mainly in terms of interface, efficiency, and availability of extra features. When selecting the best file recovery software for Mac, you should look for the following factors:
- Free vs. Paid ones. In many cases, subscription-based options come with a greater number of features, such as deep/faster scanning or increased compatibility with a variety of formats. On the other hand, freeware is great if you want to determine the problem and decide whether you should purchase a premium version.
- Standard vs. Premium. It all depends on the actual software you are using. For instance, the free basic version of Disk Drill, arguably the most popular choice in the market, comes with Disk Health Monitor, Time Machine Recovery, Duplicate File Finder, Mac Cleaner, and many others. Premium options will get your advanced support and a couple of smart features.
- Limited vs. Multiplatform. Once you find a great Macintosh data recovery software, it is only natural to wish to try it on other platforms. Even though advanced compatibility is not a must, it is a significant advantage.
Your Best Choice — Disk Drill for Mac
Disk Drill is a data recovery solution, which works with almost all formats and provides you with several scanning options. Thanks to its convenient user interface, it is a great choice for inexperienced users as well as for those who rightfully consider command-line-based apps obsolete in 2022. In addition to reading about 400 types of files and functionalities, such as Recovery Vault, it is also capable of dealing with seriously damaged partitions or unreadable hard drives. The main advantages of this solution include the following:
- Free version provides fast evaluation of the potential data for recovery;
- Simple and effective GUI;
- Multiplatform support;
- Capable of dealing with protected data (T2/M1);
- Excellent restoration rate;
- A great number of additional features (Recovery Vault, Emergency Recovery Boot Drive, Data Backup, Disk Health Monitor, Duplicate File Finder, etc.) even in a free basic version.
- Proactive safeguarding of data on an external hard drive;
- Great price policy.
Thanks to all these features, it provides the best external hard drive data recovery on Mac. As for its drawbacks, they include only the following:
- No support via telephone;
- The free option provides only previews.
How to Work with Disk Drill for Efficient Data Restoration
Since this program is intended for ordinary users, it is very simple to work with. To find and restore your valuable data, perform the following steps:
- Download it from the official site.
- Open it and transfer its icon to the Applications folder.
- Deal with Mac, asking whether you wish to open such a program. Answer positively and proceed further.
- Check the installation option. Your operating system will demand your login and password.
- You will also need to provide it will unlimited access to all disks.
- Next, connect the HDD with the files in question.
- Open your newly installed tool.
- Select the said HDD and go for the scanning option.
- Now, the program will actively scan your external drive, checking whether it contains any files, which could be saved.
- Wait until it stops scanning.
- Preview the results. Remember that you can preview not only photos but even videos.
- Upgrade your version to Premium.
- Choose the “Recover” option.
- Choose the folder, which will contain the restored files.
- Congratulations! You have successfully recovered your files!
How long does an average scanning take?
Every situation is drastically different. In general, it mostly depends on the amount of data: 5-6 hours for 0.5 TB, and up to 30 hours for one TB.
Is It Possible To Filter The Results?
You can organize the results of your scan according to your taste. Available options include data, name, type, size, and column header.
The Disk Is Missing. What Should I Do?
There are several possible explanations:
- Bad connection. Try to reconnect it several times.
- The drives are hidden. You can deal with this problem in the Preferences submenu, by switching on the “Show hidden disks” option.
- Mapped network drives. Such drives are not compatible with this solution.
- The disk is too severely damaged. Try checking it with other diagnostic utilities.
Why does it ask for full disk access?
This program is designed to scan disks for valuable data, it cannot work any other way. Your personal data will remain safeguarded.
Disk Drill is a promising choice when it comes to fast and reliable data restoration. Versatile and rich in features, it is best used for preview. It does not force you to purchase a premium version until you are 100% sure that it is capable of recovering your files. Hence, try it for free and check whether it may help you — and only if the answer is positive, consider buying a subscription.